Thursday, January 17, 2008

Half Ironman simulation

Which culture is it that takes a nap midday at work? I think it is the Japanese. I need to adopt that schedule. Training an average of 2 1/2 hours in the morning then going to work has really started to take its toll. By about 3:00 I am fried. I get an average of 8 hours of sleep at night, but I thing an hour nap midday might be beneficial for me. We’ll see if I can sneak it in somehow.

Brittany and I did the “OC Half Marathon” on January 6th. It was an AMAZING day for a race. It was overcast, cool, with a light drizzle. You couldn’t have asked for a better day. I was very pleased with my time of 1:57:22. It was a fairly hilly course so I figure that 1:22 over my PR was a good time. This was Brittany’s half marathon run, one month before her first marathon on February 3rd. In addition to running her first marathon, she is raising money for “Run for Mobility”. It is a charity that makes wheelchairs for people who cannot walk. Pretty amazing to give the gift of mobility to those who can’t get around on their own.

This weekend I am doing a half Ironman simulation in preparation for IMAZ. I will swim 1.2 miles, ride 56 miles and run 13.1 miles. I am going to do this at the gym for convenience sake. It may get a little boring on the bike but I will load up my iPhone with some movies and try to pass the time that way. I figure that if I can complete the distance in around 6-6 1/2 hours I should be in pretty good shape. It will be my longest run off the bike, but I seem to run better off the bike for some reason. Maybe because I am very warmed up :).

I have decided on my charity for the Janus Charity Challenge. I will be raising money for the Special Olympics Southern California Orange County chapter. You can donate here. Triathlon can feel like a selfish thing to do, since you spend SO much time training in the pursuit of bettering yourself. So it is a great feeling to use it to help other people. The Janus Charity Challenge enables athletes to do that. Pretty cool!

Well, I’m off to bed and who knows, maybe tomorrow I can get in a nap.


Paul

No comments: