Sunday, May 24, 2009

Running while twittering

While there is a law in California against texting while driving, there is no such law against twittering while running. So, I am afraid that I will have to rely on my own better judgement and refrain from doing any of the following:

1. twittering "And... we're off!"
2. twittering my location at each mile marker.
3. checking to see if any of my twitter friends have twittered me.

I also promise to refrain from:

4. bragging at mile 15 "Wow, I feel great; at this pace, I should break 3:55!"
5. twittering at mile 18 "This is crazy, I think I'll speed up and go for 3:50."
6. at mile 20, twittering "Something doesn't feel right in my stomach."

Or:

7. at mile 22, describing what happened back at mile 21 1/2
8. twittering at mile 23, "I don't remember it hurting THIS bad."
9. getting mad at people twittering me saying, "You're almooossstttt there!"

And finally I promise not to:

10. Well, I promise not to twitter (during the race anyway :)

That's right, I have a twitter addiction. I really do. I have met so many cool people on twitter and it has made tomorrow's race that much more fun and exciting. The running community is a large part of why I love racing so much (there's just something about runners that make them really cool to be around). Twitter has made it easier to find people who are running the LA Marathon and get a chance to chat with them before the race. Not only am I thinking about how I will do tomorrow, now I have all these other people that I will be cheering on. Just click la marathon to see how you can search for any word and how easy it is to find people with similar interests. Pretty cool!

So, even though I won't be twittering DURING the race, I will be sending out tweets and meeting up with my new friends, which have been dubbed "Runnin' Fools" after the race.
Here is a short list of some of the runners I have been chatting with @anotorias, @Cassandrasruns, @runnrgrl @Runner03 @PunkRockRunner @slinkerbell @carmen57
@262RUNR and more. Not all of them are running the LA Marathon but they are all runners and really cool people.

The race starts at 7:20. The weather forcast is calling for a high of 69° with partly cloudy skies. Perfect! I am feeling pretty good about the race in general and although I don't feel that I will be beating my fastest time of 4:07:51 I am very excited to go out and have fun. Who knows, I may just surprise myself and go out more conservative the first half of the race, which could in turn facilitate an overall faster time. Wouldn't that be nice!

Now nutrition. In case you wonder what it takes to fuel me through 26.2 miles, I will have this strapped around my waist.



Yes, I do get funny looks and comments. 8 Gels. 1 every 3 miles. I stick to water at the aid stations and try to stay away from whatever "Brand X" sports drink happens to be at that particular race, since I usually don't know how my stomach will react. This plan has worked for me in my last 2 marathons so I'm stickin' with it.

Well, this is a short post, but I wanted to write something before the race.

See you on the next post.... or of course twitter.

Paul

No comments: