Sunday, February 19, 2012

Weight training

Back in 2005 when I decided to join the gym and dedicate myself to becoming fit, I started out doing what most people do when they join the gym, I started lifting weights. Perhaps it was because I was approaching 40 that I knew I needed a strategy. Or the fact that my job no longer consisted of me "swinging a hammer", which kept me in much better shape then my lifestyle choices would have otherwise. I knew that I needed to be active to prevent myself from getting "out of shape" and feeling the age I was about to become. So, I joined the gym. I had belonged to a gym for years. I payed a lot of money the first 2 years and then was able to keep the membership up for some ridiculously low price, like $25 per year. But, I would go maybe once or twice every two years or so and that was it. It never stuck. I vowed that this time would be different. 

looking back, I guess there were a few reasons why I was able to start a routine that eventually turned into a lifestyle that I would never want to abandon. It wasn't that I had more will power. I believe that will power is rarely what's missing, I looked at the endeavor with intrigue. I wanted to learn about fitness and learn the science behind it. I bought a book and made clear goals. I had my workouts and I followed them. It became about that, not getting muscles or really being fit. Of course that was a great benefit from it and it's what started it, but you really have to enjoy it for it to become a lifestyle. It did enjoy it and it made me feel really good. 

I worked out lifting weights for about a year, when my daughter Brittany asked me if I would be interested in doing a 5k race. I had never been a runner and in fact HATED running my entire life. I had major leg surgery when I was 8 years old and aside from the pain from that, I was always told (and it's true) that I run funny. But, one of the things that I was doing as part of my workouts, was run/walking on the treadmill. I had gotten up to about 15 minutes straight by this time, so the thought of a 5k (once I figured out how far that was) didn't seem THAT out of the question. So, I told Brittany that I would do it with her. 

I remember the first time running went from something I dreaded to something I loved and WANTED to do. I had just finished 2 miles or so on the treadmill. I was sitting on one of those fitness balls and I was dripping sweat and my body felt so relaxed, like I had just gotten out of a jacuzzi. I've always had back problems and used to pop Tylenol like it was candy, just to get relief and to feel like I was feeling right then. I felt amazing and I wanted to ALWAYS feel like that. And it was natural. 

The rest, as they say, is history. I fell in love with running and have done a ton of races, did some triathlons, including Ironman, ran across America etc... But it didn't come without a little pain. I went through all the usual growing pains that come from your body adapting to the new stresses that come from running. Shin splints, Achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, etc... but I worked through them and look forward to (hopefully) running until the day I die. 

But wait! There's just one problem with all of this. That day that I fell in love with running? Just like a teenager falling in love, I dumped everything else in favor of it! Sure, I spent a little time with the weights for a few months. throwing it a bone, doing just enough so I felt like I was doing something. But as my races got longer and my running training schedule got more intense, the less I cared about any type of strength training. Who needed it when running made me feel so good? When I started doing triathlons, at least I was getting more of a balanced workout because of the swimming, but still, when it came time to strength train, I would gloss over it. I just didn't want to train with weights. I hated IT like I used to hate running. 

Too much of a good thing is not good and even though I have tried to convince myself that running is all I need, I know better. I have not been overall fit and am in dire need of strength training. So, I have taken these last 2 weeks that I have been recovering from the marathon to get reacquainted and fall back in love with WEIGHT TRAINING! 

And, I am happy to report, that with a few helpful tools, it is working and we are rekindling our relationship :) 

One of the things that has been really helpful is to have a program to follow. I have tried several apps to help me with this in this past and didn't really like any of them. This time, on Brittany's recommendation, I purchased iPersonalTrainer for the iPhone. It's an amazing app and it's only .99 cents. I look forward to training my 5 days a week and I can really feel the effects of the workouts. Also, they built a new gym near my studio in Burbank and it is a real pleasure to work out there. 

I guess what has become obvious to me (again), is what I preach to everyone else. I needed to make weight training fun for me again. It wasn't that I was lacking will power, it was that I didn't give it enough attention and find ways to make it interesting so I would WANT to do it. Now, hopefully I have done that enough that it will stick and it will be something I'll never toss aside in favor of a "new love". I think I have room in my life for both and I'll be better for it. 

Paul

No comments: