Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Change of plans

After careful consideration I have decided not to run the full marathon, and go back to my original plan of running the 1/2 marathon at the Surf City Marathon in February. I was getting bummed out whenever I looked at my run log and the weekly mileage was about 1/2 of what I am used to running. Although I could probably add the extra miles into the already high weekly training schedule. The real problem would arise after the marathon and the ensuing recovery process. It takes a good 3-4 weeks of recovery to get back to normal after a full marathon and that would completely screw up my Ironman training at it’s most crucial time.

So, after some great advice from some of the people over at Cool Running. I have decided to do the 1/2 then meet up with Brittany for the last 5 miles or so when she'll need me the most. I think it will be the best of both worlds.

It is funny how we, as flawed humans, can hear really good advice and know it is the thing to do. But, somehow rationalize things in our own head and formulate an opposing plan. I tell people not to do this all the time, then find myself doing that very thing. Life is a continual learning process. Just when you think you have everything figured out ........

Todays training went really well. I was feeling very tired yesterday after a long training session on Sunday. I didn’t have a lot of work yesterday so, I was able to get some much needed rest.
I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and did 1:10 on the bike and :40 run.

Tomorrows plan is a :45 swim, :50 bike and about an hour of strength training (weights). I have enjoyed lifting again. I had stopped for awhile while I was mainly running. But, now I have made it an integral part of my training plan. Three times a week, full body exercises. I don’t look as scrawny in my upper body area. I am sure swimming is helping too. When you are running so many miles a week, it is easy to neglect your weight training. But, it is VERY important since a lot of your power comes from your core.

On a completely different note. I am having so much fun with my iPhone. If you look on my home page you’ll see pictures with a caption that says “image of the day”. I am able to snap pictures from my iPhone, then send them to my webgallery and they automatically update on my site. Amazing!

That’s it for now.

Paul

No comments: