Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Taper time

With less than 2 weeks till IMAZ, I am officially in my taper. I will only train for about 10 hours this week, a significant reduction in time. Next week I have 4 hours of scheduled sessions. In this time, my body will be repairing itself and getting stronger in preparation for the LONG day on April 13th. Usually, I am not too fond of the taper because I get a little bored and sometimes cranky. Maybe it is the lack of endorphins during this period. In any event, I am welcoming it this time. The LONG weekend sessions have left me spent and often times sick come Monday and on a couple of occasions into Tuesday. This last weekend I trained 8 hours and yesterday I woke up feeling like crap. I thought it may have been allergies. I was congested and my heart was doing backflips in my chest. Monday was a rest day and I didn’t have much work so I went home and went to bed. This morning I am feeling better, but I am going to do a little rescheduling and take another rest day. I will make up the sessions later in the week.

I can’t believe that we will be leaving for Arizona in 1 week and 2 days. The race has been “so far away” for so long, that it seemed like I would always have time to train. I know that doesn’t make sense, but I have had my training schedule in my calendar since April 12th of last year when I registered. Now here we are. I am nervous. Mostly for the swim, of course. Luckily I will have a chance to do 2 practice swims in the lake before the race.

I am going to try and up my posting in the next 2 weeks leading up to the race, so I won’t say everything that is swirling around in my head right now.


Paul

No comments: