Monday, June 16, 2008

Alternative modes of transportation

After putting it off for way too long, I finally worked out the logistics and ditched the SUV as my way to and from work today. Gas prices being as high as they are, along with the fact that it seems silly to drive to the gym, run on a treadmill and ride on a stationary bike for what amounts to over 2 hours a day, then hop in the car and drive to work. I figure the prudent thing to do is expend all of that energy actually GOING somewhere instead of WASTING electricity at the gym. Not only will it save me money but it is also a far more efficient use of time.

So, I came up with a plan. I live about 11 miles from my studio. That’s a pretty short bike ride but a decent distance to run. I decided to ride my bike to work and run home. The plan, then is to run back to work in the morning then ride my bike back home at night. then,....... well you get the idea. The ride this morning was great. I decided to ride my hybrid instead of my road bike so I wouldn’t have to gear up. I could wear street clothes and my running shoes. If I don’t get too sweaty, I can wear those clothes all day, then change into my running clothes for the run home. So far, so good.

Then it came time too run home. I decided on a camelback that I bought for a Yosemite trip with Jasmines school a couple of years ago. It is a little big, but would work out good since I could put my laptop and running clothes in it. As soon as I strapped it on and started running, I knew I was in trouble. The thing is just NOT made for running. It has straps that go around your torso but it still kinda sways from side to side. After some adjusting, I was able to get it a bit more stable but then it kept rubbing on my lower back. Arrgghh! I was able to hike my shorts up enough to protect the skin on my back and prevent anymore serious chaffing. The shoulders straps however, were a lost cause. Pretty much all of my shirts are tank tops. I was wearing one today and no matter what I did, the straps dug into my shoulders. There was nothing I could do about it aside from lifting the straps off my shoulder every couple of minutes for relief.

I knew that the Camelback was gonna be heavy. I just didn’t realize HOW heavy. The weight immediately threw my stride off. It took a couple miles to readjust and feel semi normal. There are so many bio mechanics at play while running, that the slightest thing can really mess you up. I will have to monitor this closely and make sure that any differences that this causes don’t cause harm. I am hoping that the extra weight will make me a stronger runner without hurting me. We will have to see.



The last couple of miles were really tough, which can almost assuredly be attributed to the Camelback. When I got home I weighed it and it was 14 1/2 pounds. I may have to think of another way to get stuff to and from work or not take my laptop.

I am pretty sore and I am supposed to run to work tomorrow morning. I think I’ll be okay as long as the raw spots on my shoulders and lower back aren’t too sensitive in the morning. We’ll see. Chevron may still get my money after all... Damn it!

Paul

No comments: